Friday, February 4, 2011

The Things We Make, Make Us

Today is a big day in my house. My 8 year-old son had his braces removed! When he got them on over a year ago some of his little teeth hadn't even made their complete descent yet! I was a little choked up when I saw his new smile. He looks so grown up. No matter how many tiny infants I see grow into walking, talking children, I am still completely in awe of the miracle of life. It is absolutely amazing to think that we all started as a little speck and grew from there into the bodies we now inhabit. I sometimes look at my kids and I think, "I made you..." Arguably, I had some help, but I think it is safe to say that I did much of the footwork.

I recently found this quote: "The things we make, make us." I don't know to whom to attribute it because I cut it out from a magazine and pasted it onto a collage. It's actually quite possible that it was never intended to read like that. Maybe I made it up? But anyway, I think of my kids when I see it. "Making" people is an unending process. With each choice I make to nod and say, "Mmmhmm" rather than take the time to answer the streams of questions I hear each day, I continue to make my children. And sometimes it's okay to just say Mmmhmm because really, who am I to argue that there is anything more (or less) to Anakin Skywalker than meets the eye? I'm so unenlightened in the intricacies of Star Wars that sometimes Mmmhmm is the best I can do. And my 8 year-old is okay with that. Because he makes me too. The things we make, make us. If you took everything I have learned in the last 8 baby making years, and compared it in range, depth, and relevance to everything I had learned in my 30 years before that, I am pretty sure there would be no comparison. I am learning and growing right along with my children.

And, with each of you. We are all connected and we all make each other. Very seldom do we get to hear feedback about the ways in which we touch each other's lives. From one smile in passing, to a wave on the street, to a great big hug, the choices we make about what to do or say affect the people around us. Again and again, I see proof of how we are connected and how these connections can both help and hurt us.

After my dad passed away I was really surprised to hear about some of the connections he had made with my friends. I've heard stories about little inside jokes he shared with some or, with others, in-depth exchanges that I had never known about. I've also heard about some of the ways my dad influenced people who I didn't really know that well while he was alive. I am so touched by people's stories and that they take the time to share things about their relationships with my dad. Sometimes that can get a little embarrassing too. But we will leave those stories for another day...

It's one thing to think we're connected, it's an entirely different experience to see it in action. To actually feel the connection takes it to an even deeper level. Have you ever hugged someone and you didn't want to let go? It's that feeling, that connection, that shared energy that makes us. Or, sometimes, breaks us. It is that connection, the one that occurs between each of us, that feeds us, nurtures us, and helps us grow, even when we don't realize it.

So there you have it. From gummy smiles to tinsel teeth to an almost full set of pearly whites, my son is growing fast and I am still growing too.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. This just in: The things we make, make us is a slogan for a car. Not sure which one, but thank you car company for your quote.

    ReplyDelete